Ceningan Island Village - The Octopus Garden
Hot and somnolent, Ceningan Island is governed by sun and sea. Almost everyone farms seaweed, in patchwork plantations that checker the shallow waters surrounding the island. Follow a farmer out to their crop in canoe and learn about the cultivation process. If you are feeling adventurous, have a good fun making candies or cakes with one of the local women.
Swim, snorkel the vivid local reef, or just explore the island with your local guide and learn about local environmental issues. You will need to stay overnight with a friendly local family. Leaving will be the last thing that will be on your mind.
- Seaweed Farming
- Small Island Trekking
- Authentic homemade cuisine
As all our trips are tailor made – this is a typical itinerary only. Please let JED know at the time of booking what your specific interests are so that your tour can be personalized.
- Pick up from your hotel by JED’s driver and guide in your air conditioned vehicle.
- Arrive at Sanur port for your boat transfer to Lebongan. Remember to not wear long trousers as you will need to wade through shallow water to get on to the boat! Sit back, relax, and enjoy the scenic trip to the island
- Arrive at Lembongan and be transferred over the small bridge to Ceningan by motor bike. Enjoy a welcome drink when you arrive at the lodge and take in the breathtaking views across to Penida Island.
- A guided walk through the village will provide an opportunity to learn about everyday life and seaweed farming, the mainstay of the population of Ceningan. The seaweed is everywhere, spread colorfully on tarpaulins, drying in the sun. The friendly locals will be more than happy to have a chat.
- Enjoy a traditional Balinese lunch at the lodge which is sure to be capped off with some delicious fresh fruit. This is also an opportunity to hear about life on Ceningan and ask any questions that you may have.
- After lunch, a short boat trip will take you to Toya Pakeh, where you can snorkel in the crystal clear waters and see an amazing array of brightly coloured fish and coral.
- After a Balinese snack, you can either have some free time or tour the island on motor bike and check out some of the amazing views and special sites including the Scared Temple of Goodness.
- A highlight of the trip is sure to be a visit the swallow cave to see the swallows dart in and out of their nesting site and to see the sunset.
- A chance to freshen up before dinner in the clean but basic lodge facilities.
- Enjoy a traditional Balinese style dinner while enjoying the peaceful sounds of village life as the lights of nearby Penida reflect across the water.
- Depending on tides, you can go for an evening walk in the sea with spot lights and catch some crabs or prawns that can be grilled over an open flame for a delicious supper.
- Or you may just want to stay at the lodge and enjoy the slower pace of life in Ceningan.
- Wake up with some coffee and an authentic Balinese breakfast whilst you enjoy the serene morning view.
- The motor bike transfer back to Lembongan will give you a chance to see another side of Ceningan. Families breakfast together and school children ambling to school along dirt tracks through the palm trees.
- Depart Lembongan by boat back to Sanur before being met with a car and driver and the transfer back to your accommodation.
- Arrive at your accommodation after what is sure to be a relaxing and educational experience.
- Please bring Towel, hat, sunscreen and insect repellent and wear comfortable clothes and shoes such as runners or hiking boots.
- The rooms are clean but basic with a separate western style toilet and Balinese shower (mandi). Hot water is not available
- As JED is owned by the four communities all profits are returned to the local communities. Your visit not only helps generate local employment, but also provides financial support for local environmental, social and historical conservation activities.
Approximately 2 days & 1 night. Leave will be advised upon tour confirmation.
*Pick up and drop off time vary based on your hotel location. Please make sure your pick up time which will be written in the booking confirmation from JED
- Government tax & service charge
- English speaking guide (Other language speaking guide is subject on availability and must be reserved in advance)
- Private full air-conditioned car with gasoline and experience driver
- Return boat transfer.
- Motor bike transfer (at Lembongan & Ceningan Island)
- Snorkeling & gear
- Coffee & local delicacies
- 1 (one) x lunch at the village
- 1 (one) x dinner at the village
- 1 (one) x breakfast at the village
- 1 (one) x bottle mineral water and can be refilled with clean drinking water at the village
Price DOES NOT Includes
- Personal Expenses
- Travel Insurance
Please make sure that you have a valid travel insurance
- 50% cancellation fee will be charged if the cancellation is made within 1 (one) day prior to booked date/departure date.
- 100% cancellation fee will be charged if the cancellation is made on the day of departure date and for no show cases.
*Sudden schedule change may occur due to Balinese religious events etc.